Saturday, March 14, 2009

TPP Trouble?

The Franklin Times -

It is never easy to be on top in the political game. When a party is leading, it becomes the target of all attacks. These are troubles the TPP is quickly realizing.

As this election cycle began, the TPP quickly emerged as the front-runner. Developing and spreading a message of political moderation, economic stimulus, equal rights, and political reform, the TPP built a formidable organization. Constructing headquarters throughout the country and holding huge rallies convinced many that this party was willing to compete everywhere. This commitment had a potential reward of racking up a huge political mandate in the upcoming elections. Yet, things now look differently.

The TPP, a party that was running an untouchable and highly disciplined campaign is currently sputtering. Today, the most recent poll numbers by Wallup were released showing some troubling news. For the first time this election the TPP's numbers have slipped. This slipping support, while moderate in its scope, comes after days of stagnate poll numbers. The verdict is still out as to the reasons for this change in political fortunes; but the question still remains: is the TPP heading in the wrong direction?

It is clear that the TPP's current problems are based in both structural changes and tactical mistakes.

The TPP has seemingly designed itself as a center-left party. It would appeal to the left in its energy and civil rights policies, while holding to a moderate and popular stimulus plan. Yet, the TPP has watched as its strength on the left has slipped with the emergence of the FP. In recent weeks the FP has seen tremendous growth in its political support. As its support has grown, the FP is beginning to undermine the voter base of the TPP.

Compounding this issue is the RKP. The RKP is clearly not threatening to steal away voters. The RKP has adopted a very conservative ideology which will not appeal to liberal or many moderate voters, but it currently has conservative voters to itself. No other party has made a challenge for these voters, meaning the RKP is beginning to fully cement its support on the right.

The emerging election's structure is clearly posing challenges, but the TPP has made its current problems worse through a series of tactical mistakes late this week. After championing clean energy technology and environmental protection, Party Leader Chaffins failed to attend the EPC Convention. "We were disappointed with the TPP's absence. It is clear that sometimes it is easier to campaign on an issue, than to actually lay out a plan to those knowledgeable of the issue," state EPC President Eric Greene. Greene added, "It is unlikely the executive council would endorse a party unwilling to speak at the convention." The TPP had seemingly made moves to court this interest group's endorsement, which made its absence bizarre.

Yet, the TPP's absence may be signs of growing message discipline problems. On Friday, while conducting a conference call with reporters, TPP Leader Chaffins was clearly overheard commenting to an aide that he was growing bored with the campaign. It is unclear if Chaffins knew the mic was catching his conversation, but the statement was clearly overheard by several reporters involved in the conference call. This paper doubts many voters will celebrate the fact that the campaign is boring the TPP and does raise questions as to the TPP's governing ability. Can the country afford to vote for a candidate who has grown so bored so quickly?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me first say, I apoligize. I apologize to the EPC, the people of the F.S., and especially the supporters that have intrusted their loyalty to me and my party. I beg for your forgiveness, as well as the trust you once bestowed upon us. I do not deny anything of which this article has stated, but may I ask to clear a few things up.

I had already made plans to spend much needed time with my family during the week of the EPC Convention. As you may know, family time is scarce due to my grueling campaign schedule. Though voter support may not always be on my side, my family will. My sister, who now lives in the U.S. state of North Carolina, chose to visit during the week of the EPC Convention and due to my moral policy of "Family Comes First", I could not attend.

My "boring" comment was misconstrued in entirety. The NEC Chairman, Mr. James McFarland, proposed that the voting date for this election cycle be delayed for more than a month. I then responded that if it were delayed I might get bored. I am a man of action and very little patience. I want to see the establishment of my team's policies in the F.S. as soon as possible. Our economic crisis cannot be delayed, so why should our election? So I propose that we start a tradition that we have our elections on the day they were set. Is it not the job of the National Election Commission, namely, the NEC Chairman Mr. James McFarland to make it an objective that the election runs on time? Can the country afford to trust in a government that cannot perform a simple task of having voting machines ready when given ample amount of time to do so? Franklin needs change and Franklin needs action. Team PAPI will give it both.

Signed,

Blake Chaffins, Family Man and Party Leader

Tyler Dillon said...

This brings up a major concern is Quote" Party Leader and Family Man Blake Chaffins" believes that his own family is more important than the FSA itself. Is this really what we want; a government leader that will leave the FSA in time of need because his sister is visiting. And another thing what about being "Boring." What happens when we're in a time of need and his sister is visiting and he's bored of the FSA and wants to take a vacation out of the country? Where will the FSA be then? Is this really what we want?

Anonymous said...

Oh, brother. Come on. Say what you mean and mean what you say.
If TPP gets bored with the excitement of campaigns, what do you think they will do if they take control of the government? We don't need, nor do we want leaders who take office and just give up because it isn't exciting anymore. We beg the voters not to make the mistake of voting for TPP. This obviously shows that they don't have the voters' best interest in mind. Maybe their poll numbers have stagnated because their message has little substance.

Anonymous said...

Tyler:
Your hypotheticall situation does not match anything that I did or said. When my sister was visiting me (note: I did not LEAVE the country) we were not in a "time of need." The reason that my sister visited me now is because she knows that I have no duty to attend to in the F.S. I have not been elected to any position and therefore have no power to change anything within the country. Being a smart woman (if your party believes in such a thing given your rough past with women) my sister would not visit during a crisis, or if she did, she would not expect me to abandon my country. You must have had a very poor childhood if you do not feel the same love toward your own family.

Scott:
Campaigns are not nearly as exciting as actually seeing my policies form into action. If you think that campaigns are so exciting, you should drop out of the race before the election and enjoy campaigning the next election cycle. Where that may sound exciting to you, it does not appeal to my interests. And obviously you must have a literacy problem, since I never stated that I was bored with the campaign, but 'might' get bored if this election is dragged out any longer. Is it my fault that the NEC has failed to prepare the voting machines on time? I like to see plans run smoothly and on time, the current government has failed to do so and it is now time for change; PAPI change.

Blake Chaffins, Family Man and Party Leader